We research, care for and share the archives of the parish of Barton Stacey, Hampshire.
NEWTON STACEY CHAPEL
After the Dissolution the advowson of the church of Barton Stacey was granted in 1541 to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester, the present patrons. Dependent on the church of Barton Stacey was the chapel of Newton Stacey, which was appropriated to the priory of Lanthony with the mother church (which happened in 1260).
It seems to have been destroyed about 1635, for in that year Sir Robert Payne complained that some of the parishioners had demolished the chapel at Newton Stacey and maliciously opposed his intent to restore at his own charge the church of Barton Stacey which he had found ruinous.
Roman road south east of Newton Stacey
The route of the Roman road runs from this track and joins the tarmac road towards the River Dever. The tarmac road curves north east to Barton Stacey.
The Revd. Stephen Bachiler (1561? – 1656)
Vicar of Wherwell
‘Notorious Inconformist of Newton Stacey’
Founder of the Town of Hampton, Massachusetts, USA
by Revd Mark Bailey
In World War 1 soldiers moving from Tidworth Camp to board ships at the coast would stop off at Newton Cross Roads to water both the horses and the men from a well in the front garden of what is now Brinks Cottage. This was occupied by William Annell, seen here with his son William Frank Annell (born July 1913). William senior was a gardener working for the Manor at Newton Stacey. He married Nellie Borrett (from Thruxton) and they had another son Roger born in 1920.
For a MAP see bottom of page
River Cottage, Newton Stacey