We research, care for and share the archives of the parish of Barton Stacey, Hampshire.
The Police House (Grange Cottage).
This photograph shows on the left the sign for the Swan Inn, opposite the Village Hall on the right.
Together with the Policeman’s House and the view of the Church (below left) and one of Bransbury Mill, it is part of a set of postcards taken around the same time, perhaps by Sam. Taylor.
Can you help us to date these?
The Village Shop
1 Chapel Cottages, adjacent to the Primitive Methodist Chapel which once stood at the southern end of the village street. These five cottages, and those shown left, were demolished around 1939 and the residents rehoused to the first phase of Kings Elms.
This picture of Granny Sims was kindly donated by Mrs Enid Gilpin. It dates from the 1920s but the cottages had stood from around the time that the Chapel was built in 1844.
Wheat Cottage, with its thatched roof in 1972 (this from an article in the Southern Sentinel by Jack Eaton, 14 July 1972).
The roof caught fire not long after this and villagers remember forming a chain to rescue contents.
Thatched farm cottages between Wade’s Farm and the Methodist Chapel. Three lay parallel to The Street (McCreagh’s Cottages), two at right angles (Fennel’s Cottages).
The people are walking south (in the direction of Winchester).
The photograph was taken from the position of the tip of the red arrow.
View down Bullington Lane. Ebor Cottage, now called The Malthouse, is seen on the right. The sign post was erected in the early 1900s. Note the separate triangle of grass on which it stood, called ‘The Green’.
Cottages opposite what is now the entrance to Ringbourne Copse (formerly Wade’s Farm).
The cottage with the man at the door is now called Grange Cottage.